Wednesday, November 27, 2019

5929ms asked: I have a question about conlanging...

5929ms asked:
I have a question about conlanging... It's not a technical one, but I have been wanting to start a project. The problem here is that I already have one, it's quite big, and I can't stop looking back at it or trying to adjust anything new to it. Do you have any tips how to draft without thinking how much it's "similar" to what you've already done?



Yay! You are my first ask! So congrats!! 🎊🍾🎉
This is an interesting question that often happens to conlangers. Some find it really hard not to keep reelaborating a previous project. 
To me the best you can do is go in a whole different direction, such a different direction you won’t be able to go back to the other one. So, for instance, if in project A you were working on a standard European language, why not try a Mayan-inspired language this time?
I find it easier the more different the two are. Or for instance, if you’ve done a priori, why not try a posteriori? That could be a way to start. You could also try thinking of a very different cultural background and start building from there.
Thanks for you ask and cheers on being number 1! 😃

Originally appearing in: Nicoconlangs Tumblr
See more at nicoconlangs.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

blairjay asked: So, I'm starting to conlang...

blairjay asked: So, I'm starting to conlang. Do you feel that making a conlang before a world/culture might be better, so you can base ...